I interviewed Katerina Katarsis the keyboard player of Colotyphus.
Colotyphus is an atmospheric black metal band from Ukraine.
Location: Rivne / Lviv
Gennadiy "Monolith" Kovrizhnykh - Guitars / Vocals
Roman "Morvudd" Sapozhnikov - Bass
Kateryna "Todestrieb" Katharsis - Keys
Rostyslav Khladogard - Guitar
Lycan - Drums
Lyrical themes: Nature, Sorrow, Mysticism, Sadness, Solitude
Current label: Werewolf Promotion
So far Colotyphus has released the following releases:
FORGOTTEN IN THE PAST (LP) - 10.06.2015
- Forgotten in the Past
- Slaves of psychological warfare
- Voises of Deceased
- Silentum Part 1
- Silentum Part 2
- Silentum Part 3
- Funeral Monolith
And the new masterpiece:
SPIRITUAL JOURNEY OF A FORLORN SOUL (LP)
Ruthless Time 00:00
At the Eternal Horison 10:38
Last gusts of Wind 19:55
Nature's Curse 27:05
Flame of nation 33:10
Funeral Monolith 38:50
Moans of fourth Reactor 46:22
Summoning the rain...Glare of autumn (Drudkh cover) 57:34
Album was recorded during spring 2016 by Colotyphus in Tyrania studio, mixed and mastered by Khladogard. Music was created by Monolith, Morvudd and Todestrieb. Album's concept, lyrics and translations by Todestrieb. All artworks by Khladogard and "Wolf's Design Studio".
Colotyphus - Spiritual Journey of a forlorn Soul
This new album is really marvelous and I can see a bright future for this band. So here is the interview part, I hope you enjoy that as well.
- 1. I see from your Facebook that Colotyphus was founded in December 2015, can you tell a little about yourselves and how did you came up with the name Colotyphus and does it have some special meaning you'd like to share?
- Colotyphus was created by our guitarist/vocalist – Monolith. It was a kind of a one-man band till summer 2015, I think. When the first LP was out, 3 other musician joined Monolith and started preparing to one local gig, which was first not more than an experiment – no one could imagine that Colotyphus will be something more than home-studio project. However, after performance at that gig, Monolith decided to make it a full-member band and luckily he was able to do it (Mostly it’s a big problem for musicians in Ukraine to put a band together). Now Colotyphus is Monolith, Morvudd and Todestrieb (also Lycan and Khladogard as the live members). We three are very close friends, to be honest. I consider it to be the reason why it’s so easy for us to work together and make really a lot of material. About the name “Colotyphus”... At the start it had a special meaning.. but at one time we reconsidered the whole concept of the band, so it doesn’t anymore.
- 2. Are there other projects you have been or will be part of in the past, present or future?
- Monolith and Morvudd have also an old school death metal band Rise of the Cadaver. Monolith is a vocalist of occult black metal band called Atra Mors.
- 3. Where could people see you performing at live shows and what do you think about live shows in general, are they important part of your career?
- From time to time we play live at Ukrainian festivals. The last time was at Oskorei pagan music festival in Kyiv this winter. In general, live performances are important for us, as it’s a good way to involve people to our music, to make them be a part of its atmosphere. I hope, next year we’ll have an opportunity to visit not only Ukrainian, but also European festivals.
- 4. Are you planning on any music videos?
- No, I can’t imagine us creating any music videos. We’re not interested in it, not at all
- 5. I can see you made cover song from Drudkh's 'Summoning the rain...Glare of autumn' to your latest album which was nice. Would you like to tell why you decided to pick that exact song and are you planning on more covers in the future?
- Actually, we’re not the big fans of covers, so I think there won’t be any on the next albums. However, the band Drudkh and especially the album “Autumn Aurora” has a special meaning to us or it’ll be more correct to say – to me, as it was my will to pick this 2 songs. By making this covers we’ve wanted to add a little part of the magic Autumn Aurora’s atmosphere to our album.
- 6. I can see you publish music also in physical form which is nice, where could people buy your music or other merchandise either in digital or physical form?
- The people can buy our CDs on official page of our label Werewolf Promotion. Also it’s possible to contact us via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or on VK and Facebook. In digital form our albums are available on Bandcamp, Google Play Market and others.
- 7. Anything else you'd like to say?
- We would like to say thanks for support! Stay tuned!
So I hope you're able to listen this masterpiece and enjoy it as much as I do, it's amazing how much great music is out there waiting to be found. This new album is great and it has multitudes of styles in it. The opening track Ruthless Time got me hooked right from the start and the magic lasted throughout the whole album.
I can't help but to wonder how much further would have these artists gotten with their careers if they had the same opportunities than some others have. I can imagine that some differences do occur if you compere cities like New York and London to this location in Ukraine where things may not always be that easy.
But on the other hand, different country and atmosphere can bring different sound and lyrical contributions than some other place. I've often heard that in a different place and time certain songs could have never been born and due to that in some way we all owe our gratitude's to the times where our favorite were born.
I for one am glad that this particular album was made and I had the honor of doing this interview. Thank you for taking the time and making this possible.
Thank you for all the visitors!